The course will develop your knowledge, understanding and practical skills for counselling Children & Young People. The learning on the course supports work with clients ranging from very young children to 18 year olds.
The learning outcomes from BACP’s curriculum framework for working with young people (11–18 years) are integrated into the course. As BACP’s competencies for working with children (4-11 years) become available, we intend to integrate these into the course.
The diploma course runs over 2 years, with 5 weekends of contact time and 3 evening seminars each year. Attendance and succesful completion of the coursework leads to a Certificate qualification after year 1 and a Diploma qualification after year 2.
Who is this course for ?
- Counsellors who are currently working with Children & Young People and want to reflect on their practice and deepen their learning.
- Qualified counsellors who are considering working with Children & Young People.
- Trainee Counsellors/Psychotherapists seeking placements with Children & Young People.
Why this course?
The course is based on the philosophies and principles of the person centred approach.
We provide an experiential learning environment, allowing for individual and bespoke learning journeys. We will support you to identify and fulfil your personal and professional learning needs and to develop your approach to counselling children and young people, whatever your theoretical training.
We aim to help you articulate the values, beliefs and theoretical understandings underpinning your client work, and support you to grow as a practitioner with your own unique way of working.
Students who have completed this course have found that:
- Their confidence in working with children and young people has increased.
- They feel more positive about using creative and play materials with clients.
- They benefit from being part of a learning community with colleagues working in different contexts and with different age groups, and through discussion of the variety of themes explored each year.
- They are up to date with developments in the field of counselling CYP, having reviewed legal and safeguarding requirements.
- They know how to access useful sources of information and support
- Practice sessions provide a rare opportunity to reflect with colleagues on “live” counselling work
All Temenos students are offered full access to the onlinevents library whilst they are on the course. This is the world’s largest library of video & audio recordings created for the helping professions, linked to a learning log and instant certification.(over 600 hours of CPD recordings).
Students will also have access to Temenos’s extensive library of counselling and psychotherapy books, including specialist books for working with children young people.
Temenos has been offering a counseling and psychotherapy diploma course for more than 25 years.
We believe that providing early support to children and young people makes a significant difference to their lives and a valuable contribution to society. We recognize that specific skills and knowledge are needed to work with children and young people and want to contribute to this growing field.